On this page, you can find the peer-reviewed papers related to the Project:
- Drouilly, M. and O’Riain, M. J. (2019) Wildlife winners and losers of extensive small-livestock farming: a case study in the South African Karoo. Biodiversity and Conservation, 28(6): 1493-1511.
- Allen, B. L., Allen, L. R., Ballard, G., Drouilly, M., Fleming, P. J., Hampton, J. O., … & O’Riain, M. J. (2019). Animal welfare considerations for using large carnivores and guardian dogs as vertebrate biocontrol tools against other animals. Biological Conservation, 232, 258-270.
- Tensen, L., Drouilly, M., & van Vuuren, B. J. (2018). Genetic structure and diversity within lethally managed populations of two mesopredators in South Africa. Journal of Mammalogy, 99(6), 1411-1421.
- Drouilly, M., Tafani, M., Nattrass, N. and O’Riain, M. J. (2018) Spatial, temporal and attitudinal dimensions of conflict between predators and small-livestock farmers in the Central Karoo. African Journal of Range & Forage Science 35 (3-4): 245-255.
- Drouilly, M., Clark, A. and O’Riain M. J. (2018) Multi-species occupancy modelling of mammal and ground bird communities in rangeland in the Karoo: A case for dryland systems globally. Biological Conservation 224:16-25.
- Nattrass, N. and Conradie, B. (2018) Predators, livestock losses and poison in the South African Karoo. The Journal of Cleaner Production. Available online 22 May 2018.
- Drouilly, M, Nattrass, N. and O’Riain, M. J. (2018) Dietary niche relationships among predators on farmland and a protected area. The Journal of Wildlife Management 82:507-518.
- Conradie, B. and Nattrass, N. (2017). The robustness of self-reported data on predation: A comparison of two Karoo surveys. African Jounral of Agricultural and Resource Economics 12(3): 217-229.
- Atickem, A., Stenseth, N. C., Drouilly, M., Bock, S., Roos, C. and Zinner, D. (2017). Deep divergence among mitochondrial lineages of African jackals. Zoologica Scripta online.
- Conradie, B. and Piesse, J. (2016). Ranking perceived risk to farmers: How important is the environment? African Journal of Agricultural and resource Economics 11(4): 263-276.
- Nattrass, N., Conradie, B. and Conradie, I. (2015). The Koup fencing project: Community-led job creation in the Karoo. African Journal of Agriculture and resource Economics 10(2): 131-145.
- Conradie, B. and Landman, A. (2015). Wool versus mutton in extensive grazing areas. South African Journal of Agricultural Extension 43(1): 22-31.
- Conradie, B. and Piesse, J. (2015). Productivity benchmarking of free-ranging sheep operations: technical efficiency, correlates of productivity and dominant technology variants for Laingsburg, South Africa, Agrekon 54(2): 1-17.
- Nattrass, N. and Conradie, B. (2015). Jackal narratives: predator control and contested ecologies in the Karoo, South Africa, Journal of Southern African Studies 41(4): 753-771.
- Conradie, B., Piesse, J., Thirtle, C., Vink, N. And Winter, K. (2013). Explaining declining total factor productivity in the Karoo districts of the Western Cape, 1952 to 2002, Agrekon 52(S1) 1-23.
- Conradie, B.I. (2012) Are hunting clubs the solution to small stock depredation The case of Ceres, 1979 and 1980, Agrekon 51(1): 93-113.